The Division of Cardiovascular Medicine will provide comprehensive and superior services so that we can serve as the hub for UHHS and UPCP referrals, with volumes that position us as a leader in Northeastern Ohio.
Our patients benefit from access to nationally recognized talent working in state-of-the-art facilities, with 11 centers of specialization staffed by teams of some of the country’s foremost experts in cardiac and vascular surgery, electrophysiology, cardiovascular imaging, minimally invasive interventions, heart failure treatment and transplantation, atrial fibrillation and other arrhythmias, stem cell regeneration and prevention strategies.
Our centers include:
- Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Center offers comprehensive, expert care to patients suffering from debilitating heart diseases. Our nationally recognized specialists collaborate to develop complete, individualized care plans for each patient, using cutting-edge research and some of the most innovative therapies available. Patients can also benefit from clinical trial therapies only available at a select few institutes across the country.
- Cardiovascular Imaging Center uses the latest and most innovative imaging equipment and techniques to quickly and accurately diagnose a variety of cardiovascular conditions. Our specialists participate in clinical research trials in a continuing effort to improve diagnostic procedures. A full array of cardiovascular imaging services, including echocardiograms, electrocardiograms and stress testing, are available at several convenient locations throughout northeast Ohio.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center is dedicated to helping patients recover from heart and lung issues or surgery so that they can enjoy a normal, healthy lifestyle. Our rehabilitation team uses a combined approach of exercise, education and counseling and works with nurses, exercise physiologists, dietitians, cardiologists and other specialists to create personalized rehab plans. Through our rehabilitation center services, patients can expect to gain strength, reduce the risk of future cardiovascular and pulmonary illness and improve their overall quality of life.
- Congenial Heart Disease Center assesses and treats a variety of congenital conditions throughout the stages of a patient’s life, which, depending on time of diagnosis, could begin before birth. The center’s multidisciplinary team is comprised of world-class experts who use the most innovative techniques to diagnose and treat an array of congenital heart problems. Our specialists strive to give patients the most comprehensive, personalized care in managing and treating their heart conditions.
- Electrophysiology Center uses some of the most advanced technology available to diagnose and assess abnormal heart rhythm in patients, a condition that can be life-threatening. Our team of experts uses the results of an electrophysiology study to determine the course of treatment for each patient, which can mean antiarrhythmic medication or the implantation of a device such as a pacemaker or an implantable cardioverter defibrillator.
- Evaluation and Prevention Center is dedicating to prompt and accurate diagnosis of existing heart problems as well as the assessment of potential heart disease risk factors. Our team of specialists uses a collaborative approach to evaluate each patient’s condition, and patients can count on personalized care from expert clinicians who will take the time to answer their questions. The Evaluation & Prevention Center offers services at convenient locations throughout the region.
- Heart Surgery Center uses traditional procedures as well as some of the most innovative techniques available to treat a wide range of heart conditions. The nationally recognized cardiac surgery program performs operations such as bypass, congenital heart surgery, aneurysm repair and stentless valve replacement. Our multidisciplinary cardiac surgery team consists of a wide array of specialists who are committed to creating individualized treatment plans and providing the highest quality of care to each patient.
- Interventional Cardiovascular Center evaluates each patient to determine a non-invasive treatment plan that will work best for them. Our heart specialists treat conditions such as coronary heart disease, vascular disease and congestive heart failure.
- Research and Innovation Center is one of the top biological research centers in the country, is working every day to improve diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Our researchers are continually making advances that translate into superior patient care.
- Vascular Center uses a multidisciplinary approach to diagnose, evaluate and treat patients with vascular disease. Our team of physicians, surgeons and other specialists use cutting-edge diagnostics and innovative therapies to treat a variety of conditions. Expert evaluation determines the best treatment plan for each patient, using both noninvasive options and surgical procedures. The Vascular Center is supported by the Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory, which provides advanced diagnostics and comprehensive patient care.
- Women's Cardiovascular Center focuses on the unique aspects of the disease as it manifests itself in women. Working closely with University Hospitals MacDonald Women’s Hospital, the center not only provides top-quality diagnostics and treatment, but is dedicated to educating women on the signs and symptoms of heart disease, as well as preventative measures that could reduce their risk.
Cardiovascular Medicine's team welcomes working with health professionals who are interested in learning more about our institute or in referring patients for treatment. We share a commitment to excellence in patient care and physician education and development. UH Rapid Referral is the fast and convenient way to get connected with UH Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute health specialists.
When a physician calls the UH Rapid Referral line, his or her patient will be scheduled and seen by a UH Harrington Heart & Vascular Institute expert within 48 hours.
- Recruit and retain the highest caliber Faculty, who emphasize thought, synthesis, short and long term decision-making and follow-up, and who recognize the benefit of practicing in a state of the art, leading Academic Medical Center
- Recognized leader in teaching medical students, residents and fellows so that we attract the best caliber of people as trainees
- Renowned clinical research center that participates and leads in the development of new technology and approaches to medical care, with growing extramural funding and strong record of publications
The Division of Cardiovascular Medicine is comprised of the following:
- 29 Attending Physicians
- 21 Fellows
- 2 Certified Nurse Practitioners
Attending Physicians by Program Area/Specialty:
- General Cardiologists - 9
- Electrophysiologists - 8
- Interventionalists - 5
- Heart Failure - 2
- Imaging - 2
- Physician Scientists - 5 (All Physician Scientists perform some level of Clinical Activity)
Seniorty Span for Attending Physicians by Academic Rank:
- Professor - 7
- Associate Professors - 9
- Assistant Professors - 11
- Senior Instructors - 4
Attending Physicians Practice Locations:
- UHC & Ambulatory Sites (Chagrin Highlands, Westlake, Euclid & Mentor) - 21
- UHHS Hospitals (Geauga, Geneva, Bedford & Southwest General) - 3
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center - 7 (includes 2 Faculty who start as mentioned above)
- The Cardiologists also work closely with the 6 member CT Surgery Section at UHC