Career Development Awards for New Investigators

medical resident research

K99 Pathway to Independence Award

The NIH Pathway to Independence Award is an innovative, new program that provides an opportunity for promising postdoctoral scientists to receive both mentored and independent research support from the same award.

K Award Resources

K Awards for Individuals with a Health-Professional Doctorate

There are nine different career development awards that individuals with a health professional doctorate should consider. Most of these awards support individuals after they have completed clinical training and have accepted a faculty position. There is the Mentored Clinical Scientist Developmental Program Award (K12) that is an award to specific institutions and interested candidates should ask the chair of their department if such an award exists. There are also a series of individual awards including the Mentored Clinical Scientist Award (K08) that supports career development experiences for individuals interested in research in areas that don't involve human subjects. If you want a career that does include work with human subjects, consider the Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award (K23). If you have already been trained and want to serve as a mentor to more junior clinicians try the MidCareer Investigator in Patient-Oriented Research Award (K24) . There are other awards that should be examined including the Career Enhancement Award in Stem Cell Research (K18) the Academic Career Award (K07), the Mentored Quantitative Research Career Development Award (K25), and the Midcareer Investigator Award in Mouse Pathobiology Research (K26).


K Awards for Individuals with a Research Doctorate

There are at least eight different awards that individuals with a research doctorate should consider. Most of these awards support individuals that have accepted or are ready for a faculty position. There is the Career Transition Award (K22) that provides support during the early years of a new faculty position. This award is used differently by the NIH institutes and centers that participate and interested applicants should carefully review the relevant program announcements. New faculty members that need additional supervised research experience because they have had a career hiatus or they are moving to a substantially new area of research should consider the Mentored Research Scientist Development Award (K01). Scientists who have recently received independent research support might consider the Independent Scientist Award (K02) that protects at least 75 percent of their effort so that they can focus on the development of their research program. Individuals interested in Stem Cell research or Quantitative Methods or Mouse Pathobiology might consider the K18, K25, or K 26. A few of the NIH Institutes offer an award called the Senior Scientist Award (K05) that provides protected time and salary support for more senior, established scientists. Finally there is the Academic Award (K07) that is used to recruit research faculty into areas where there is a growing need for research and instructional capabilities.