Geriatrics Fellowship Conferences
Trainees are encouraged to attend one annual regional or national conference during their fellowship. Attendance at summer and weekly conferences are mandatory.
- Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society (AGS) - this national meeting is attended by professionals involved in providing health care to older patients. It allows fellow trainees an opportunity to update their knowledge of clinical geriatric medicine.
- Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America (GSA) - this conference focuses on presenting information related to aging issues in general. Taking a more broad approach to studying aging, this is a meeting that may be especially helpful for those trainees interested in researching questions beyond the clinical issues seen in geriatric medicine.
- Annual AMDA (American Medical Directors Association) Conference, Society of Post-Acute and Long Term Care Medicine - this meeting focuses on education and advocacy for those involved in post-acute and long term care. Fellows with an interest in medical direction and/or clinical care of patients in skilled nursing facilities and/or nursing homes may want to attend this conference.
- Ohio Chapter of AMDA Conference - this is the local state chapter version of the AMDA meeting. This is a great opportunity for fellows to learn about research, clinical, educational and administrative activities presented by post-acute and long term care providers in the regional area.
- Citywide Summer Core Geriatrics Curriculum - this half- day weekly conference series runs July-Sept for all geriatrics fellows in the Cleveland area. Faculty from UH, VA, Cleveland Clinic MetroHealth collaborate to provide presentations on core geriatrics topics such as Dementia, Delirium, Depression, Incontinence, Falls, Frailty, Post-Acute Care, etc.
- Divisional Geriatrics/Palliative Care Conference - during this weekly interdisciplinary conference attended by geriatrics fellows, faculty, residents, students, nurse practitioners, and administrative staff, presentations are provided by fellows, faculty, students, and invited speakers on topics ranging from geriatrics, palliative care, updates on research in progress, administrative issues, and faculty development. During this meeting, depending on the speaker/agenda, a formal lecture, case presentation, journal club, or update on administrative issues affecting the division may be presented.
- Topics in Geriatric Medicine Continuing Education Series (GRECC) - this weekly conference is the equivalent of Geriatrics Grand Rounds and includes a wide range of aging topics delivered by local to nationally known speakers from medicine, social work, nursing, pharmacy, therapy, psychology, and advocacy/community service programs.
- Fellows are also encoureages to participate in the Department of Medicine Grand Rounds that take place 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. on Tuesdays. Grand Rounds are held September through May.
- Fellows should participate in the Department of Medicine Morbidity and Mortality Conference. M&Ms are held 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. on Fridays.